Saturday, April 2, 2011

Metallic cartridge reloading for beginners


A simple list and some beginner advice I make standard, prompted by postings on the web.

The question that prompted this post was about beginning kits, and the viability of a particular hand-powdered progressive press.

The Lee 1000 would be a BAD choice for a beginner...
If you want a fast press, think about the Lee classic four position turret, faster than single stage presses and less complicated to set up than a full progressive.

The 1000 from Lee is notorious for finicky setup (as noted by many others) and poor production - IT IS NOT A BEGINNER PRESS!!! it has a reputation for problems with even the MOST EXPERIENCED reloader/handloaders, in fact ANY of the turret presses would be a challenge for a new person.

The Lee Classic Turret Press, it is my most used press in my collection, it will load any pistol and rifle cartridge of "regular” size up to about .308 (and larger without some features).

Using the automatic powder dispenser will only work with an extra part and only up to .308. Larger cartridges will work on the press but the auto powder dispenser will not actuate (you will have to charge by hand). Setting up this press is easier than an automatic press, but that is difficult enough...

I have used automated units for my past business (hydraulic and electric tools far beyond even what most would see) and I dislike the automatic hand powered units, I do use the turret press, I consider it fast enough without automation.



I am a BIG supporter of Lee products for the market, I use them myself, and I like the lower prices (even though my best press is a Corbin a SINGLE STAGE $600 press) ...

I would suggest the Lee Classic Cast press, I have that model also...

I would strongly suggest that you start with a single stage press, that is one operation at a time, this is particularly good for reloading rifle cartridges and obtaining the best in accuracy.

As I listed here the term "classic" with Lee is used similar to "premium"...



Also many of your tools you can get from secondary sources like Harbor Freight for a set of measuring calipers and a vibratory polisher and walnut hull media (if you want shinny brass cases.

Without a doubt you could call me a former professional because I not only had a license from ATF for the manufacture of ammunition but I also made from lead and copper the bullets, not just any bullets but premium jacketed bullets for hunters, police, and benchrest shooters (premium bullets are often priced at $1.50 each or more - just the bullet).

With all that said safety is the main issue...

Reloading mistakes, even simple ones can be catastrophic...

It is best to learn slow on a simple strong quality press, like the single stage models.

No comments:

Post a Comment